While the world was oscillating between native apps and web apps, Google made an epic announcement at I/O developer conference pertaining to Android Instant Apps.
The onset of a whole new way to use Google apps without having the need to download one. It stepped into the industry in May 2016 and since then continues to grow as the company is now performing a live test with BuzzFeed, Viki, Periscope etc.
You might refer this as a subtle change of android native apps or the lighter versions of web apps, the idea of Android Instant Apps are surpassing all. And nevertheless to state that Android Developers now prefer working on instant apps rather than the native version of mobile apps.
Ok, we accept that Android Instant Apps are the new era of mobile apps but how?
The core concern is to break parts of the native mobile apps and so small that they can seamlessly run instantly without necessitating the need to tap Google Play store and download the same.
In layman’s terms, the Android Instant App enables users to test a lighter version of the mobile apps on being redirected to a smaller segment of native apps.
You can consider Android Instant apps as the fusion of mobile and web apps. They open as quick as the web apps but have functionality similar to native mobile apps.
Likewise, it becomes easier for Android App Development Companies to acquire customer support and boost their business.
This could be justified by the fact that investing in android instant apps do not seek play store rankings and developers can lay their focus on building an attractive UI/UX thereby engaging a range of customers.
Growth in the popularity of mobile apps, we will tell you why?
Undoubtedly, Google instant apps leverage user experience with all a user need to do is tap a web link. In order to have an instant app loaded and function the way a mobile app does, you need to develop a well oriented and am efficient app. Crucial to its speed is the size of your app. Smaller the size of App, quicker is the loading speed. So, you need to keep a check at the apk size of your app.
Let’s have a quick look at ways you can vent out to reduce the file size:
- Refactor Your App Features Into Submodules
Consider this to be the best way to reduce the file size. Segregating an existing app features into multiple modules help decrease the overall size. However, be very sure that while you segment features of the app, you keep the base features intact and as small as possible. Prefer importing libraries in the modules that use it rather than in the base feature. Any app can be deemed fit to be used as an instant app must not exceed 4 MB of base module size.
While you are refactoring your app, you need to keep in mind a few specs as:
- Irrespective of the type of app, try keeping the codebase equivalent.
- Even if your app was borne a single workflow, the segment you app features.
- Focus more on the base module size and not on the feature module.
Additionally, there are app resources which are not needed and can be reduced when the binary of apps does not use.
- The total app size can be reduced by using the WebP file format and not PNG. And don't Google instant apps have total support web without compromising on the image quality.
- In case your app has multiple languages, you can try to edit these and eliminate the local resources.
- Multiple resources that are no longer required for the functioning of your app can be effectively removed.
- Android studio has the extensive facility that impregnates the unnecessary files and libraries and so you can comment them from your file.
With the advent of technology and the seeing the pace at which Google instant apps are reigning the world, Android App Development Companies now shift to creating a new app whereas few prefer converting their existing app feasible to work as Android Instant Apps. Here, we draft down ways to convert a mobile app to a segmented instant app and further add the desirable features to work seamlessly on all smartphones.
- Start with creating a base module for the instant app.
- A minimal module having the base code required for developing the APK file of an app.
After the creation of base modules and file app, now you need to focus on the logic of the app. You have successfully separated the build-up process with that of app logic. Steps to build an instant app from existing include;
- Designating App as the Feature of Base Module
- Creation of an app module
- Attach minimal modules with the corresponding feature modules
- Add additional feature modules required for Google instant apps.
- Affirm that the feature modules has a dependency on the base modules.
Once you are done, you can either provide users with the trial now button or create a web URL so that the app can dum effectively.
While there are a lot of things that work in support of Android instant apps, the same is still in the testing phase and witnesses a few drawbacks while it is implemented. Few of these are:
- Discrepancy while linking site with access protocol digitally.
- Does not works on Huawei devices
- Record Expresso incompatible with instant apps
- Not feasible with German translation
- Google vision fails to work with the pre O devices.
While working with web technologies, customers associate an array of concerns pertaining to the security along with limitations imposed with the app usage. Though you might find it hard to trust an app on the first go, it is imperative to know that none of the apps would automate payments from Google pay. Additionally, the page induces HTTP protocols, smart locked enabled sign-ins affirm total security. An app would always seek user permission as for:
- INSTANT_APP_FOREGROUND_SERVICE only in Android O.
- READ_PHONE_NUMBERS only in Android O.
However, things you should note here is the absence of Bluetooth, fingerprint,set_wallpapers etc. Other limitations include backend support for services as push notifications and access to external storage. Further, one of the most prominent limitations is the file size of the app. Since it is restricted to merely 4 MB, developers cannot enrich their app with high-quality images or any other media.
Having said all above, it would be great to see how developers have their hands on Android instant apps and incorporate features to stand out in the market. Though it would be too early to guess the success of instant apps, it is expected to embark success in near future
In case you are looking for developing an android instant app, hire an android app developer and get set to fuel your business in the industry.